The Daviess County Public School District is hosting nationally recognized speaker Michael DeLeon for a series of âStraight Talkâ presentations to students at all middle and high schools in DCPS this week. Straight Talk is a powerful and engaging program that addresses serious damage to the brain and body caused by drug and alcohol abuse.
The program of visits is indicated below. In addition, an evening presentation is scheduled from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Daviess County High School for parents / guardians and concerned members of our community.
In the United States, adolescent marijuana, nicotine, and alcohol use continues to be a significant problem, along with the escalation in the abuse of prescription drugs, counterfeit pills, and fentanyl.
DeLeon’s post focuses on educating students about the facts surrounding products marketed to young people, including THC products and edibles. The speaker emphasizes prevention and intervention with an evidence-based presentation designed to equip students with the knowledge to guide them in their positive and healthy choices for life.
DeLeon founded Steered Straight Inc. in 2007 as a non-profit organization designed to send a message to youth and young adults about the extreme dangers of drugs, vaping, e-cigarettes, marijuana, involvement in gangs and criminal activity. The message emphasizes the importance of making healthy and rational decisions in everyday life.
DCHS Deputy Director Lance Blue, one of the organizers of the event, said that in his role as DCHS Deputy Director he saw an increase in e-cigarettes and Juuls, “to the point that I would rate him like an epidemic, âhe said. noted. âThe use of e-cigs / Juuls knows no boundaries and affects all walks of life and all age groups. “
Calendar of visits
- Monday, Daviess County High School – Second year, 8:20 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. juniors and seniors from 10 a.m. to 11:10 a.m. first-year students, 1:50 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Tuesday, Daviess County College – 8:40 am to 9:40 am; 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Tuesday, College View Middle School – 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Tuesday, Daviess County High School – 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- This special presentation will address the concerns of parents / guardians and community members who wish to gain knowledge and information about drug and alcohol abuse issues affecting young people. The program is sponsored by DCPS Family Resource and Youth Services Centers and includes a free lunch and door prizes. Register before Monday, November 29 here.
- Wednesday, Apollo High School – Juniors and seniors, from 8:30 am to 9:30 am; first-year and second-year students, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, Burns Middle School – 2.15 p.m. to 3.15 p.m.
- Thursday, Heritage Park High School – 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. (the program will take place at the Cliff Hagan Boys & Girls Club, 3415 Buckland Square)