Retrospective: Fire destroys taxidermy building, couple killed in murder-suicide, teenager sent to jail

EAST IDAHO – Each week, East Idaho News looks back on life during this History Week.

This week is September 20-26.


ST. ANTONY – Teton Peak reported on September 22, 1904 that a fire destroyed a taxidermy building on the south side of town.

“Volunteer firefighters reacted quickly, but the blaze was almost out of control before it was discovered,” the newspaper said.

The building belonged to Fred W. Rising, but it was occupied by Mr. HH Mowray, who ran a second-hand store. Rising had $ 500 insurance on his building.

“He (Rising) is in Jackson Hole with a hunting party and is probably not yet aware of his loss, which will be around $ 600 as the insurance is just under half of the building’s value. “, explained The Teton Peak.

The back of the building was occupied by Jas. Elliott and his family. The newspaper said they escaped the fire “with only the clothes on their back”.

There was an adjoining building – a frame livery stable – owned by Elliott, which firefighters rescued.

“The fire is believed to have originated from a reckless person throwing a match or a cigarette while having fun watching a tame bear, which was chained next to the building,” said The Teton Peak.


ISLAND PARK – A well-known husband and wife were found dead in their car, according to the September 20, 1934 issue of the Rexburg Standard.

Justin McGinn and his wife, Georgia McGinn, 48, of Last Chance in Island Park, owned the McGinn Ranch. The resort was 14 miles south of West Yellowstone on the Yellowstone Highway.

Their bodies were found inside their vehicle at Henry’s Lake Dam “in a state of partial decomposition” on September 16, 1934. The deaths were ruled as murder-suicide by the Fremont County Acting Coroner, James Fredrickson.

According to reports, the car had been at the roadblock since September 13, when the McGinns left for Pocatello. Ms McGinn was going to take a train to California, where she had worked for two winters, and her husband was heading to Salt Lake City to spend the winter.

“The bodies were discovered by LG Rowley, a shepherd working nearby,” the newspaper said. “Sir. McGinn’s body was found sitting upright in the seat and Mrs. McGinn was leaning against him.

The Rexburg Standard said Ms McGinn was shot in the left temple and Mr McGinn in the mouth. A revolver was found in his hand.

Mr. McGinn was described by residents as “in poor health” and “mentally disturbed”. The newspaper noted that it was well known in the area and that its seaside resort was a popular vacation spot for locals.

The bodies were identified by their son, Keith McGinn, who was left in charge of the complex.

The couple were buried in Bozeman, Montana.


RIGBY – The Idaho Press Association chose Charles Doud, a Rigby local, as the state’s most promising high school reporter, the Rigby Star reported in its September 25, 1958 newspaper.

Doud was one of four finalists interviewed for the Journalist’s Award. The state winner’s selection was based on news writing ability, interest in journalism, extracurricular activities, academic record and reason for interest in journalism, the newspaper explained.

The Ford Motor-Idaho Press Association contest was part of a nationwide selection of the No.1 high school reporter.

The newspaper said Doud would be joined by Frank Burke, editor of the Burley newspaper and chairman of the Idaho Newspaper Advertising Service in Dearborn, Michigan, where he would compete in the national competition. He was due to leave for the trip all expenses paid on October 1, with the meeting starting on October 2.

“We are sure all of Charles’s friends will want him to win the national competition which offers five scholarships funded by Ford Motor, the largest of which will be a fully paid four-year scholarship,” the newspaper said.

The competition is said to be based on interviews with candidates and written work, according to the newspaper.

Doud was the student body president at Rigby High School when he received the state award. He also worked during the holidays and after school at the Rigby Star.


POCATELLO – A teenager from Pocatello violated his probation and was sent to the Idaho State Penitentiary.

The Idaho State Journal said in a Sixth District court appearance on September 22, 1976, 19-year-old Robert Jeff Caverhill admitted to violating the terms of a five-year probation sentence.

He was specifically accused of quitting his job at Pocatello and leaving town, contrary to his probation, according to the newspaper. Caverhill was initially charged and pleaded guilty to two counts of issuing a check without funds.

“He is credited with the time already spent in prison and the court will retain jurisdiction over his case for 120 days during which a full social, psychological, educational and professional assessment will be carried out,” the newspaper said.

Source link

Previous It is the least reliable American pharmacy in 2021
Next COVID-19 outbreak at Charleston men's shelter pushes health officials to act

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *